First Annual Bocal Majority Solo Competition! January 20, 2018
Prizes awarded in each category and 1 grand prize winner. See details below.
Open to bassoon, oboe, English horn and contrabassoon.
We invite school middle school and high school students to participate in the Competition. The age limit is as follows and there will be multiple winners chosen in each of the following age groups:
Ages 14 and under and currently in 5th-8th grade enrolled at an accredited school in the United States. 1 oboe junior division award of $150 and 1 bassoon junior division award of $150 OR either could possibly be awarded the $500 grand prize in place of the division award.
Ages 18 and under at the time of the competition (January 20, 2018) and currently in 9th-12th grade enrolled at an accredited school in the United States. 1 oboe senior division award of $150 and 1 bassoon senior division award of $150 OR either could possibly be awarded the $500 Grand Prize in place of the division award.
*Students of any of the judges are not eligible to compete. Students of Jennifer Auerbach are not eligible to compete.
The Semi-Finalists will perform at the Bocal Majority Double Reed Day on January 20, 2018 at Rice Middle School in Plano, TX. If Rice Middle School should become unavailable, the contest will be moved at will to another location.
All awards are granted based on the judges’ recommendations. We reserve the right not to award any or all of the division awards or the grand prize award.
Panel of qualified judges will evaluate audition materials. All judges are independent, and their students are not allowed to apply this season.
How to Apply
To apply for the Solo Competition participants must submit:
Completed online application form
YouTube link to the video recording
Application fee of $35 (payable by PayPal)
Round 1 – a recorded video of the student performing 1 to 2 minutes of their proposed solo, the completed online application, and the application fee of $35 must be received by January 1, 2018 at 11:59pm Central Standard Time.
Application Fees are not refundable. Memorization is NOT required.
Round 2 – A live Semi-final audition will take place on January 20, 2018 at Rice Middle School in Plano, TX. 1 complete movement of a solo work (or 1 through-composed work) should be performed. The movement should not exceed 10 minutes in length. The piece does not need to be a concerto. If there is piano accompaniment, it must be performed with a pianist. The contestant must provide their own accompanist. Unaccompanied solos (solos originally composed as being unaccompanied) are acceptable. Memorization is NOT required.
Round 3 – A live final round audition will take place on January 20, 2018 at Rice Middle School in Plano, TX. Any contestant selected as a finalist must perform in the final round in order to be eligible for award.
Solo Competition Rules and Regulations
- Only un-edited video can be accepted for the round 1 audition.
- Recordings should be a fair representation of the contestant’s abilities, but need not be of a professional quality. Applicant’s name and exact title of the audition piece must be included in the description of the video on YouTube.
- Contestants do NOT need to perform from memory.
- Recordings for Round 1 do not need to be performed with accompaniment.
- The decisions of the Judges are final and cannot be appealed.
- Comments made by the Judges will not be disclosed.
- Division or Grand Prize Winners may not submit the same audition program should they wish to compete in the following season.
- Competition results will be published on the Bocal Majority website on January 21, 2018.
- Winners who have chosen not to participate in any of the required rounds for any reason will be disqualified.
- Please read these rules carefully before applying to the Solo Competition.
Photo or video recording during the recital is strictly prohibited. A photographer will be taking pictures of the performers.